I applied last week for a customer service position with Red & White Fleet in San Francisco:
I just had my interview this morning, and I felt it went well. They later e-mailed me about doing a background check, which according to my buddy is a good sign.
"Walt Grace" is a great them not just for the nautical aspect, but because the song is about a man who out of "desperately hating his old place" (like me in my current job) took a gamble.
"And his wife told his kids he was crazy".
When I told my mom about the initial e-mail requesting an interview from R&W, she didn't seem too happy about it. Just a few weeks ago there was a recent announcement that they had a few permanent positions open. I know my mom and some of my co-workers were telling me to do it since it meant a steady paycheck and benefits, but I couldn't. The last time I took a job for security was the fall of 2012, and I was literally losing my mind. At one point I punched a hole in the wall. It wasn't just the job, but a combination of things, but the high-stress job didn't help.
Since then I've kept plugging along, subbing here and there, but in the past month I've applied to seven different places in hopes of landing something different. I've been depressed, with fleeting thoughts of suicide (sorry for the morbid turn, but I gotta be honest). I've felt stuck, like I had nowhere else to go. But with this interview and the potential hiring, for the first time, it's like someone just threw color on my gray world.
So my mom and other folks may think I'm crazy for wanting to take a job in the city, something that's way out of my comfort zone, working on a boat. But I need change. I've been stuck indoors, either in classrooms or in different stores and movie theaters for the last 15 years, and an outdoor job would be awesome. Not to mention the job entails riding a boat on tours of the spectacular San Francisco Bay, including the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, and not just during the day but during sunset as well. Also, while this job I'm in isn't the easiest, it's still the same routine of either disciplining kids with emotional problems or toileting and diaper changing even teenagers and young adults. And to make things worse, everyone's miserable at work.
I know the grass may be greener on the other side, and at some point if I get to work for R&W it might become a bit of a grind. But my impressions so far are the staff seems very cool, and one of the managers that interviewed me said as intense as the job can get from time to time, they do try to keep things as relaxed as possible.
Wish me the best, guys. I'm going to hear from them in a couple of days. Right now it's part-time they're looking at, so I might still keep subbing a couple of days a week, but there's full-time potential if I do well, and if I can get a full-time gig, then NO MORE SUBBING!!
BTW, shout out to these young cats from Hawaii. Wish I knew their names. =) They released this cover of "Walt Grace" around the time the album came out. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment