So my younger sister has picked up the ukulele and just played her first song last night. Needs to work on the rhythm, but got the notes right at least. =)
But just tonight we were chatting about it, and right off the bat she was like,"I ain't playing no 'Twinkle, Twinkle'".
It got me thinking: all these guitar methods I've been on had me play melodies of lullabies or songs from like the freaking Civil War era, or just strumming chords. While there's nothing wrong with either of those things, right from the bat my sister's like "Why play stuff that's boring? I just want to get to the good stuff."
Why have I subjected myself to playing these exercises that end up with my eyes glazing over because they're so freaking boring? I get that beginners have to start somewhere, but why not just start with stuff you like?
While I still am working on my sight reading, instead of relegating myself to boring tunes, I'll use something like Hal Leonard's Easy Guitar White Pages, where there's all these cool popular songs to start out with. It's a bit challenging, but in order to get better I have to challenge myself anyway.
There's also books and websites with all kinds of riffs and licks I can feast on, too. It's time I started playing what I want for a change.
Where's the humble pie come in? Here I am thinking I've been playing guitar for a couple of years and I was going to walk her through the ukulele, but instead she got me to change my way of approaching the guitar.
It seems like that's how all the greats got their start, anyway. John wanted to play Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff; apparently when he started taking lessons he told his teacher "I want to play this" and then played an SRV tape. Nothing against lullabies, but I don't think Jimmy Page or Joe Satriani got into guitar to play those. =)
So I'm going to get a bite to eat, have a nice little drink and then start finally having some fun! Hopefully I can get around to this in a month or two:

No comments:
Post a Comment