Saturday, February 28, 2015

It's been a long time (since 22)

Apologies for the long time in between posts. Work's been crazy lately and also for the boxing fans out there, after 5 long years, two guys are going to finally face each other in the ring. Some guys named Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. It's been occupying most of my time the last week or so.

But back to music. I first became acquainted with Ed Sheeran when JM posted this on Twitter: "You could break @edsheeran's talent into about six equal pieces and *still* have six very talented and successful artists." So I checked him out on Google Play, listened to some of his first album, "+", and thought he was cool but very much a modern pop musician.

Then I saw him on the last night of JM's "Late Late Show" episodes and fell in love with "Don't". The Grammys performance of "Thinking Out Loud" sealed it for me. So I went back and listened to "+" again and got hooked. At first I thought "x" wasn't as good in comparison to "+", but after hearing it again with mostly unbiased ears, it's probably even better.

I just started reading Ed's autobiography, and he got a ton of support from his parents, especially his dad, who took him to all these concerts ranging from Eric Clapton to Elton John. He got a freaking 8-track tape recorder one Christmas.

I've ranted about how my dad cares very little for my music and how if my high school actually had a damn music program maybe my life would be different. But you know something? So what.

That's the thing with dreams; they overcome obstacles. They supersede circumstances. Okay, so my family didn't have a lot of money and couldn't afford music lessons. They still encouraged me to sing in church and bought a karaoke machine. 

But even if my family were against my musical aspirations as opposed to just being incredibly neutral, if this is my passion then that doesn't matter. JM's parents were opposed to him pursuing a music career (until he got signed by Columbia, then his dad changed his mind), but he didn't care. He kept pushing forward. He worked for a year at a gas station, saving up so he could get that Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster. He worked his ass off for hours either alone in his room or on stage to sharpen his guitar and vocal skills. He went to Berklee long enough to meet Clay Cook and make a demo tape of some of his "Inside Wants Out" tracks and then moved to Atlanta.

Regardless of whether I or anyone else has the backing of our family and friends to pursue our dreams, we need to forge ahead and pursue them. If we have to use our own hard-earned money to buy our own gear, then so be it. I was lucky to have qualified for both an Amazon and Sweetwater store cards so I can at least pay for stuff slowly, but I'm still saving up for my first Fender Strat and other guitars and gear. I'm about to get a used car (which will really help with future gigs, jam sessions, etc.), so I'm trying to get a 2nd job to pay that off and save more money. If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment