Thursday, February 19, 2015

What's the freaking point?

I got to thinking: why do I  do all this?

Why am I playing guitar or chatting with people on John Mayer and guitar groups? What do I want to do musically, and why do I want to take classes at my local community colleges and pursuing an associate's in music as well as do live shows and write songs?

As John Mayer said,"I really hunger for that community".

People pursue careers mainly because of money and/or job security. A lot of people have asked why don't I pursue a career in special education since I've been doing it for so long? I just don't like it. It's noble and I respect the folks who have done it for a long time (like my mom), and I work my ass off, but it's not for me.

But I think regardless of what career I or anyone else pursues, it comes down to community. To relationships. I love music, but having people either in my Facebook groups or my everyday life (not that FB isn't everyday life, but you know what I mean) share this passion is what does it for me. 

My buddy, Dan, and I are an odd pair musically. Yes, we both like classic rock, blues and jazz, but I'm definitely a child of the 90s, so I enjoy hip-hop, R&B and alternative, while he, pushing 60, is unfamiliar with that. But we can talk guitars and music concepts all day. And the cool part is it's like we're speaking a different language than most others around us. 

I got my buddies I talk sports with, others I talk just work and social issues, but my music conversations are really special. My family enjoys music and were responsible for getting me into it in the first place, but we don't talk about it all that much. I'm the only one who listens to rock and blues, and while my sisters and I listen to hip-hop, r&b and pop we have differing tastes in those too. So our music conversations are somewhat limited.

I like the concept of what The Band did where they basically had a fraternity house with a recording studio in their living room. They had a game room, a swimming pool in the back and a den for hanging out, but the living room was full of gear and recording equipment. That's my dream house. Or like what John Mayer did when he recorded "Battle Studies".







Me in a house with recording equipment and just a place to hang out with family and friends and lay down tracks whenever we effing feel like it. That's the life for me. That an a sweet RV.

I know JM bought his Earth Roamer for half a mil with his rich-ass self, but this baby's only $118,000 (check out the floor plan): 
Itasca Sunova



Check out the living area:

Bedroom:

Overall floor plan:


Not bad, huh? I like the idea of just cruising around in an RV for weeks at a time, just with an acoustic, or if I want to go electric I can get a portable power supply (don't want to use up the car battery now). Dreams . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment